Free Disk Drill can scan and recover data from virtually any storage device — including internal Macintosh hard drives, external hard drives, cameras, iPhones, iPads, iPods, Android devices, USB flash drives, Kindles, and memory cards. In many cases, Disk Drill can read your device even if it is failing, unreadable, or has lost a partition. Disk Drill is a Mac data recovery software designed natively for Mac OS: easily protect your files from accidental deletion with Recovery Vault and recover lost data from Mac disks. Most of storage devices, file types and file systems are supported.
Disk Drill is a set of tools for recovering data from, managing and analyzing mass storage devices.
The application has been quite popular among Mac OS users for quite a while and the developer has ported the application to Windows.
With Disk Drill, you are given a comprehensive set of tools for finding, managing, rebuilding and recovering damaged data. Its usefulness is in its multiple algorithms it uses to recover data.
Disk Drill features a beautiful user interface which provides users with the quick ability to get down into the internals of virtually any connected device. It supports the Windows filesystems along with Mac's HFS along with Linux EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4 filesystems.
Recovering data with this recovery tool is rather easy and allows you to search through recoverable data. Items are grouped depending on their general category (eg. Videos, Pictures, Documents, etc.) The app allows you to save the data to an external device.
Another useful feature of Disk Drill is its protection feature which helps guard against data loss and permanent deletion.
Disk Drill is a useful and easy-to-use data recovery program which can be very useful for more novice users or simply for people who like a combination of beauty and functionality with a simple interface.
Disk Drill is software which can protect from data loss.
Features and highlights
- Recover data from virtually any storage device
- Several different recovery algorithms, including Undelete Protected Data, Quick Scan and Deep Scan
- Scans start with just the click of a button
- Supports FAT, exFAT or NTFS file system, is HFS Mac drive or Linux EXT2/3/4
- Helps map old partitions to rebuild
- Protects your PC from future data loss
Disk Drill 4.2.568.0 on 32-bit and 64-bit PCs
This download is licensed as freeware for the Windows (32-bit and 64-bit) operating system on a laptop or desktop PC from file recovery software without restrictions. Disk Drill 4.2.568.0 is available to all software users as a free download for Windows. It's free to use, but some features within the application are limited as the program is classed as 'Freemium'.Filed under:
- Disk Drill Download
- Freeware File Recovery Software
- Major release: Disk Drill 4.2
- Disk Recovery Software
|Operating system||macOS and Windows|
|License||Free (up to 500MB)|
Disk Drill Basic is a freeware version of Disk Drill, a data recovery utility for Windows and macOS, developed by Cleverfiles. Disk Drill Basic was introduced in 2010 and was primarily designed to recover deleted or lost files from hard disk drives, USB flash drives and SSD drives with the help of Recovery Vault technology. In 2015 CleverFiles released Disk Drill for Windows.
The core of Disk Drill Basic is a Recovery Vault technology which allows to recover data from a medium that was secured by Recovery Vault beforehand.Recovery Vault runs as a background service and remembers all metadata and properties of the deleted data. Thus making it possible to restore deleted files with their original file names and location.
Supported file systems
The Mac version of Disk Drill Basic provides recovery from HFS/HFS+ and FAT disks/partitions (only the paid Pro version can actually recover files, the Free version will only allow Previewing files).
In August 2016, Disk Drill 3 announces support of macOS Sierra.
Disk Drill Basic can be also used as a backup utility for creating copies of the disk or partition in DMG images format.
Version for Windows
In February 2015, CleverFiles have launched a Windows version of its data recovery software for macOS. While in beta, Disk Drill for Windows is licensed as a freeware and allows to recover the deleted files from storage devices that can be accessed from Windows PC. Disk Drill for Windows also includes the Recovery Vault technology and works on any Windows XP system or newer (Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10). The software is compatible with FAT and NTFS, as well as HFS+ and EXT2/3/4 file systems.
In September 2016, CleverFiles have announced the immediate availability of Disk Drill 2 for Windows, the new version of the expert-level data recovery app.
|Version||Platform||Release date||Notes and significant changes|
|1.0.47 Beta||Macintosh||September 2010|
|1.0.52 Beta||Macintosh||September 2010|
|2.0 ||Macintosh||May 2013|
|2.4.437 ||Macintosh||December 2015|
|1.0 ||Windows||February 2015|
|1.0.188 ||Windows||June 2015|
|3.0.756 ||Macintosh||September 2016|
|4.0.123 ||macOS||October 2020|
- ^Derek Schauland (2011-02-08). 'Cleverfiles Disk Drill file recovery for the Mac'.
- ^Cody Fink (2010-12-15). 'Disk Drill Is An Amazingly Simple Recovery App For HDDs'.
- ^'Disk Drill 1.0.52 Beta – first public release'. 2010-10-05.
- ^'Why is Recovery Vault important?'. 2010-09-12.
- ^'Mac recovery tool Disk Drill comes to Windows'. 2015-03-10.
- ^Steven Sande (2011-05-08). 'Disk Drill protects your Mac disks, recovers files'.
- ^Simon Slangen (2010-09-10). 'Disk Drill: Easily Protect and Recover Your Hard Drive Data'.
- ^'Disk Drill 3 Offers macOS Sierra Compatibility'. 2016-08-31.
- ^'Protect Your Mac Data And Recover Lost Data With Disk Drill'. 2012-04-23.
- ^Martin Brinkmann (2015-03-03). 'Mac Data Recovery Software Disk Drill ported to Windows'.
- ^Tim Fisher (2016-09-01). 'Disk Drill v2.0 Review'.
- ^Erica Sadun (2013-05-23). 'Disk Drill file recovery app moves to 2.0 release'.
- ^Iulia Ivan (2015-12-14). 'Disk Drill for Mac 2.4.437'.
- ^Vamien McKalin (2015-03-09). 'Recover accidentally deleted Files with Disk Drill for Windows'.
- ^Marina Dan (2015-03-03). 'Disk Drill 184.108.40.206'.
- ^Mike Williams (2015-06-15). 'Disk Drill 1.0.188'.
- ^Riccardo Meggiato (2015-06-15). 'Disk Drill 3'.
- ^Filipe Espósito (2020-10-06). 'Disk Drill 4 for Mac gets major update with T2 chip support, RAW photo recovery, more'.