The Medicare program recently announced the 2021 costs for Medicare Part A and Part B. These costs take effect on January 1, 2021.
Medicare Part A
Medicare Part A covers inpatient hospital care, care in a skilled nursing facility (up to 100 days), some home health care, and hospice services. The costs next year will be:
Benefits 2021 Medicare Advantage Plan with Prescription Drugs Erickson Advantage® Signature with Drugs (HMO-POS) H5652-001-000. $0 copay - $30 copay 30% coinsurance Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF)2 $0 copay per day: for days 1-100 30% coinsurance per stay, up to 100 days. Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs) offer services to aid in patient recovery, like rehabilitation therapy and care from nurses and doctors. These resources are related to skilled nursing facilities, including brochures for patient education, support for billing and reimbursement, and a special focus on Medicare.
Medicare Cost Share 2021
Premium: Most people get Part A for free because they, their spouse, or- in some cases- their parent have paid Medicare taxes while working. However, for those who must buy Part A, the monthly premium in 2021 can be as much as $471.
Hospital Stay: The inpatient deductible is $1,484 per benefit period. If someone is in the hospital for longer than 60 days, their cost-sharing will be $371/day for days 61-90 and $742/day for days 91-150.
Medicare Program; Prospective Payment System and Consolidated Billing for Skilled Nursing Facilities; Updates to the Quality Reporting Program and Value-Based Purchasing Program for Federal Fiscal Year 2022 is on public display at the Federal Register and will publish on April 15, 2021. Skilled care is nursing and therapy care that can only be safely and effectively performed by, or under the supervision of, professionals or technical personnel. It’s health care given when you need skilled nursing or skilled therapy to treat, manage, and observe your condition, and evaluate your care.
Skilled Nursing Facility Stay: Medicare can cover up to 100 days in a skilled nursing facility when someone meets the criteria for Medicare to pay for this care. There is no cost for care for the first 20 days. For days 21-100, the beneficiary will have a daily co-pay of $185.50.
Medicare Part B
Medicare Part B covers outpatient care such as doctor visits, outpatient hospital services, diagnostic tests, ambulance services, durable medical equipment, mental health services, and more. The costs next year will be:
Premium: Everyone on Medicare is subject to a monthly Part B premium. In 2021, the standard premium will be $148.50/month (up from $144.60 in 2020). Most people will pay this premium amount next year.
A small percentage of Medicare beneficiaries will pay a slightly lower amount because of Medicare's hold-harmless provision. This rule protects people who have their Part B premium deducted from their monthly Social Security check from a Part B premium increase that would exceed their Social Security benefits increase. Because of this rule, these beneficiaries will not receive a lower net Social Security benefit in 2021 than they received in 2020. Although the cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) for Social Security benefits for 2021 is small (only 1.3%), the COLA is expected to cover the Part B premium increase for most beneficiaries.
People with higher incomes pay a higher premium.
- As a reminder, people with limited incomes and resources can qualify for Medicaid to pay their Part B premium through the Medicare Savings Programs or “Medicare Buy-In”.
- Other Part B Costs in 2021: The annual deductible will be $203. That is the amount Medicare beneficiaries must pay for services before their Part B coverage kicks in. After that, Original Medicare covers 80% of the cost of outpatient physical and mental health services and the beneficiary pays the remaining 20%.
Medicare beneficiaries are responsible for paying the monthly Part A (if any) and Part B premiums regardless of how they get their Medicare – whether through Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage plan. Individuals with Original Medicare (who use the red, white, and blue card when getting care) and no additional insurance are subject to the Part A and B deductibles and co-insurance amounts described above. Those in a Medicare Advantage plan pay the deductibles, co-insurance, and co-pays set by their plan. Dual eligibles with Medicare and Medicaid insurance use their Medicaid coverage to pay their Part A and B deductibles, co-insurance, and co-pays and should only be charged the small Medicaid co-pay that applies to the service they get.
Medicare Skilled Nursing Copay 2021 Dates
More information about Medicare Part A and B costs in 2021 can be found here.