Tablo FAQs – What Kind of Remote Control Does Tablo Have?
- WeChip G20 Voice Remote Wireless Replacement Remote for Nvidia Shield/PC/Android TV Box/Smart TV 4.1 out of 5 stars 715 $14.99 Dupadstory G20S Voice Remote Control,2.4G Wireless Voice Control Sensing Air Remote Mouse with IR Learning Best for PC HTPC IPTV Android TV Box.
- Like the G10, the G20 remote is a good replacement for the NVIDIA Shield remote. It is sold by a few different brands: FOONEE, Avatto, WeChip, Dupad, etc. The G10 Remote is a pretty great replacement remote for the Nvidia Shield, especially for $10-15. It connects via a usb dongle you connect to your shield, it takes two AAA batteries.
- Product Description WeChip G20 Remote Control 2.4G Wireless Voice Control Sensing Air Remote Mouse for Nvidia Shield,PC Android TV Box. Voice Control: Hold down the voice button, speak to the voice button, and then release the voice key, the remote will search for what you said.
- 5.0 out of 5 stars WeChip G20 Perfect for Shield remote replacement June 4, 2019 Color: G20 voice Verified Purchase Has a mute button, on-off switch for shield, pause, vol up, vol down buttons for great sound control, convenient voice button that works more consistently than the shield voice button.
G20 remote issues I recently picked up a g20 remote to replace the stock shieldtv remote (because I hate the sliders). Everything seems to work in terms of controlling androidtv menu, Netflix kodi etc but in two games I have Crossy road and red ball 4 for example the ok/select button doesn’t work even though it works for all other androidtv.
Confused about why the product pages for Tablo OTA DVRs don’t contain photos of a remote control?
That’s because network-based Tablo OTA DVRs don't have their own remote!
(But our TV-connected DVRs DO! Click here for more information.)
Check out this post to learn about the differences between the remotes on Tablo-compatible streaming devices, as well as third-party remote control alternatives.
Choose Your TV Platform = Choose Your Remote
For those familiar with traditional cable or satellite DVRs that sit next to your TV and come with huge remotes covered in buttons, Tablo’s network-based OTA DVR approach can be puzzling at first.
Unlike a traditional set-top-box, Tablo connects to your home WiFi router and is then accessed via an app on your favorite internet-connected device.
Not only does this enable you to place your Tablo OTA DVR pretty much anywhere your TV antenna gets a good signal, but it means you’ll be able to watch your favorite live and recorded TV programs from networks like ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, PBS and the CW via the remote control (or touch-based interface, or mouse) of your choice!
Most Popular Devices/Remotes for Use with Tablo
The most popular Tablo-compatible streaming TV devices all have simple, well-designed remotes, but each has its benefits and drawbacks.
Here’s a quick overview…
- Cord cutters love the raised tactile buttons on the simple, easy-to-hold remote
- Cord cutters hate that the ‘Quick Launch’ buttons at the bottom can’t be re-programmed
- Look for higher-end Roku models whose remotes offer TV power and volume buttons, as well as a headphone jack for private listening
Amazon Fire TV Remotes
- Cord cutters love the simple button layout and voice search capabilities of the remote
- Cord cutters hate that its small size makes it prone to getting lost in the couch cushions
- Look for newer Amazon Fire TV models whose remotes offer TV power and volume buttons
Wechip G20 Voice Remote
Apple TV Remotes
- Cord cutters love the speed and responsiveness of the remote’s input
- Cord cutters hate the sometimes finicky touchpad that replaces a more traditional directional pad for navigation
- Look for a silicone cover that can provide more grip to the Apple TV remote’s slick surface
NVIDIA SHIELD (Android TV) Remotes
- Cord cutters love the option to use a more traditional remote OR a gamepad
- Cord cutters hate the non-standard battery size and seemingly short battery life of the more traditional remote
- Look for an alternative 3rd party remote if you’re not comfortable using a gamepad (more on that below)
NOTE - If you’re fine with the original remote control your streaming device came with, but it’s broken or lost, you don’t have to buy a whole new device.
Most streaming device platforms have free downloadable apps that will turn your smartphone into a remote and offer low-cost replacement remotes online.
Alternative Remote-Control Options
If you love the hardware or interface of a streaming platform but don’t love the remote, there are alternatives.
Logitech Harmony — Gold Standard Universal Remote
With their massive list of compatible devices, Logitech Harmony remotes are at the heart of many high-end home theater setups. The 950 model has a nice touch screen interface and allows you to control and switch between up to 15 devices and set specialized ‘activity’ routines based on your viewing habits. It’s not cheap though at $174.99 (or more) US.
Caavo — HDMI Switcher & Universal Remote in One
Caavo lets you control and switch between up to four different streaming and game consoles using a single, simple remote. At $59.99 US (on sale) it’s a lot more affordable than other advanced universal remote options.
GE Universal Remote — Cheap & Cheerful Universal Remote
For just $9 US this GE-brand universal remote will control up to four different devices. It’s even pre-programmed for Roku!
WeChip G20 Remote — Affordable Option for Android TV Devices & HTPCs
Wechip G20 Remote Access
Love your Nvidia SHIELD TV but not the remote? The WeChip G20 is just $17 US and works like a champ. The built-in accelerometer also provides ‘air mouse’ capabilities for those who have a PC connected to their big screen.
Long story short, cord cutting with a Tablo OTA DVR puts YOU in control of your TV viewing so there’s no need to be stuck with a remote you don’t love.
Wechip G20 Remote Control
Have a different type of universal remote to recommend? Tell us on Facebook or Twitter.
Wechip G20 Remote Control
Check out these posts on streaming set-top-boxes, streaming sticks, and Smart TVs next:
Wechip G20 Remote Control
Sign up for Tablo's Cord Cutting This Week newsletter to get the latest cord cutting industry news including updates on Over-the-Air TV shows, streaming services, set-top-boxes, gadgets, and more delivered straight to your inbox!